Why iCare info?
- Approximately 285 million people worldwide live with low vision and blindness
- Of these, 39 million people are blind and 246 million have moderate or severe visual impairment
- 90% of blind people live in low-income countries
- Yet 80% of visual impairment is avoidable – i.e. readily treatable and/or preventable
- Restorations of sight, and blindness prevention strategies are among the most cost-effective interventions in health care
- The number of people blind from infectious causes has greatly reduced in the past 20 years
- An estimated 19 million children are visually impaired
- About 65 % of all people who are visually impaired are aged 50 and older, while this age group comprises only 20% of the world’s population
- Increasing elderly populations in many countries mean that more people will be at risk of age-related visual impairment.
We at Antardrishti believe that the awareness level of the society about eye care, eye donation and blindness must be raised. After a thorough analysis of our experiences of last 7 years, we felt the need of a platform to
- Bring awareness about eye care and health
- Create communities for people with vision deformity and visually impaired,
- Inform and bring awareness to parents and peer group of affected people
- Opinion building on issues related to eye health
- Generate content focused on empowerment of visually impaired
Antardrishti, a social development organisation is committed to the cause of blind people in our society. Towards this we had made a humble beginning in 2006. It is registered as a Public Charitable Trust under Indian Trust Act, 1882.